<Mifflin Kenedy와 Richard King의 관계>

 

......브라운즈빌 지역을 여행하다가 아주 흥미로운 사실 하나를 발견했다.바로 어마어마하게 큰 랜취로 미국내에서 가장 크다는 킹스빌에 관한 이야기를 스티브에게서 첨으로 듣고 흥미를 느끼기 시잣했었는데,이 대 농장의 효시인 텍사스농장마을을 지나자마자 바로 옆에 붙어있는,킹즈빌보다 더 흥미로운 케네디카운티를 지나가게 됐다.

지도상으로 브라운즈빌을 들어가기 위한 경로에 케네디카운티가 있는데 세라티란 아주 작은 동네외엔,그것도 바로 킹즈빌 옆이라서 이 지역을 지나면 덩그러니 비어버린 카운티를 지나게 된 것....나는 사실 맨 첨엔 지도상으로 백지상태로 그려진 그 지역을 지나가기가 꺼림찍해서...사막인줄알고....다른 곳(앨리스란 동네)으로 돌아가는 노선을 택했었다.


그런데 내가 운전하는 동안 내 네비게이터가 된 스티브가 나를 킹스빌로 안내했고 결국...그 ....두려움으로 다가오던 빈 공간인 케네디카운티를 건너게 된 것.....그 곳은 전혀 사막이 아니였다.킹스빌과 아주 유사한 환경으로 머스킷트리가 즐비하고 막막한 목초지였다...누가 이 넓은 땅을 소유한건지 진짜.궁굼해졌다.어쩌면 킹스빌의 주인이 이 카운티마저 소유한거란 상상도 하면서....


알고보니 그 두사람 리챠드 킹과 미플린 케네디....사업동업자들이었다.둘 다 해군경력의 캡틴들이었다.증기선으로 돈을 벌고 이어서 새로운 돈벌이로 철도사업과 목초지사업을 함께 투자한다던가...초기 텍사스역사에 아주 뺄래야 뺄수가 없는 인물들...카우보이들의 조상이었다.이들의 가족사부분까지 들추다가 만나게 되는 멕시칸들과 그들의 운명.....거대한 서사시를 읽는 느낌........kenedy와 kennedy대통령과는 완전히 다른 성씨군...

 


위의 웹에 나온 자료 중 일부...미플린 케네디와 리차드 킹에 관한 자세한 설명도 포함.

About the same time, Mifflin Kenedy and Richard King arrived in South Texas with a small fleet of ships.  They made a great deal of money ferrying passengers and running guns up and down the Rio Grande and to ports around the Gulf of Mexico.  When the Civil War broke out, they transported cotton and other commodities out of northern Mexico for the Confederacy.  After the war, however, Kenedy and King decided to get out of the shipping business and into the grand-scale acquisition of old Spanish land grants.  Kenedy bought up approximately one million acres along the Gulf coast between Brownsville and Corpus Christi, while King acquired close to three million acres of interior tracts.  Between the two of them, they owned most of Wild Horse Desert.

CAPTAIN MIFFLIN KENEDY....Captain Mifflin Kenedy was born at Dowington, Chester county, Pennsylvania, June 8, 1818, and died at Corpus Christi, Texas, March 14, 1895, aged seventy-six years.

 Early in life he became a seaman and followed that line of work for many years. In 1842 he went to Alabama and during one season on the Alabama River served as clerk of the Champion, a boat running from Mobile to Montgomery. 

TheChampion then proceeded to Apalachicola, Florida, and ran on the Apalachicola and Chattahoochie Rivers until 1846. While thus engaged in Florida he met Captain Richard King, then a river pilot and in after years his partner in steamboat operations on the Rio Grande, and ranching in Southwest Texas.

 In the early part of 1846 Captain Kenedy was placed in charge of the Champion and ordered to take her to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Upon his arrival at Pittsburg, he met Major Saunders, an engineer in the United States Army, and a friend of his, who was sent there by General Zachary Taylor to obtain boats for the use of the army on the Rio Grande. Major Saunders purchased the Corvette, Colonel Cross, Major Brown, Whitville and other boats for the service. 


Captain Kenedy was made commander of the Corvette and directed to proceed to New Orleans and report to Colonel Hunt of the Quartermaster's Department, U. S. A. The appointment was confirmed and Captain Kenedy enlisted for the war,




King Ranch, located in south Texas between Corpus Christi and Brownsville, is one of the world's largest ranches (though only 15% as large as Anna Creek station in South Australia). It is one of the largest ranches in the United States.[citation needed] The 825,000 acres(3,340 km2; 1,289 sq mi)[3] ranch, founded in 1853 by Captain Richard King and Gideon K. Lewis, includes portions of six Texas counties, including most of Kleberg County and much of Kenedy County, with portions extending into BrooksJim WellsNueces, and Willacycounties. The ranch does not consist of one single contiguous plot of land, but rather four large sections called divisions. Only two of the four divisions border each other, and that border is relatively short.[4] The ranch was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961






Kingsville is a city in and the county seat of Kleberg CountyTexasUnited States.[3] The population was 25,575 at the 2000 census. It is the principal city of the Kingsville Micropolitan Statistical Area, which is part of the larger Corpus Christi-Kingsville Combined Statistical Area.

Kingsville was formed in 1904 and named after Captain Richard King, owner of the King Ranch.

Kingsville's economy, like much of South Texas, is extremely dependent on agriculture, particularly cattle, cotton and sorghum. SinceWorld War II, Kingsville has been home to NAS Kingsville, a key US Navy jet training center.




Kenedy County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. It is part of the Kingsville Micropolitan Statistical Area. In 2000, its population was 414. Its seat is Sarita[1], and the county is named for Mifflin Kenedy, an early rancher in the area. Kenedy County has the distinction of having the fourth lowest-population of any county in the United States, following Loving County, TexasKalawao County, Hawaii, and King County, Texas. It is also the easternmost county in the United States that has more square miles than people. The county was created in 1921 from parts of Hidalgo and Willacy counties. In 1999, Hurricane Bret struck the county, but damage was minimal due to the county's low population. A wind turbine plant is being built near Sarita and is expected to slightly raise the population of the area.

The King Ranch covers a large part of the county.

<History>.....Sarita was created in 1904 as the headquarters of the Kenedy Ranch, named by its founder, John G. Kenedy after his daughter. The town grew to about 300 residents by 1916, but in that year a serious hurricane struck and the area and many settlers subsequently moved away (in 1999, the largest Texas hurricane in 20 years, Bret, came ashore near Sarita but did little damage). Although the town was made county seat when Kenedy County was created in 1921, it has not grown appreciably since then.

Today, Sarita is home to a Catholic church, a school, several homes, and a post office, the Lebh Shomea House of Prayer centered around the headquarters of the Kenedy Ranch , but no businesses are active other than the ranch. The 1921 Kenedy County Courthouse is a two-story white Beaux-Arts structure on a large green and the most prominent building in town (many county employees actually live in Kleberg County, just to the north since there is nowhere to live in Kenedy County and most of the homes are owned by the ranch). Across the street sits the whitewashed, two-story headquarters of the Kenedy Pasture Company, which owns most of the land in the county and employs many of Sarita's citizens. The building also houses the Kenedy Ranch Museum.


<아래 빨간색 제목 링크 클릭하면 홈페이지로 이동>

SARITA, TEXAS

Kenedy County Seat, Texas Gulf Coast 
Hwy 77
20 miles S of Kingsville
50 miles N of R
aymond
Population 185 (2000) 

Book Your Hotel Here & Save:
Kingsville Hotels 
Raymondville Hotels

SARITA KENEDY EAST......After the death of Sarita Kenedy East, litigation concerning her estate continued for more than two decades. The following article, although not 100% accurate, provides a glimpse of how the story was reported in the news.

EAST, SARITA KENEDY (1889-1961). Sarita Kenedy East, South Texas rancher and philanthropist, daughter of John G. and Marie Stella (Turcotte) Kenedy, was born on September 19, 1889, in Corpus Christi, Texas. Her grandparents, Petra Vela and Mifflin Kenedy were the founders of the vast La Parra Ranch in what was then Cameron County (now Kenedy County). She spent much of her childhood at La Parra, and her father named the new town of Sarita, located on the Kenedy ranch, for his daughter upon the town's founding around 1904. Sarita attended Incarnate Word Academy in Corpus Christi and then H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College in New Orleans. She also made her debut in New Orleans. She did not complete college, but instead returned to La Parra. On December 8, 1910, she married Arthur Lee East, a South Texas rancher. They did not have any children.
 Sarita Kenedy East




After Arthur East died in 1944, Mrs East and her brother John G. Kenedy, Jr., were in charge of the 400,000-acre Kenedy ranch. Upon her brother's death in 1948, Sarita and her sister-in-law Elena Suess Kenedy became the sole heirs to the ranch. Sarita East also owned the San Pablo Ranch near Hebbronville and Twin Peaks Ranch in Colorado. She served as a county commissioner of Kenedy County and was on the board of directors of Alice National Bank. In addition to her business dealings, she engaged in philanthropy, especially to Catholic charities. In 1952, she received the Ecclesia et Pontifice medal and membership in the Ladies of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem from Pope Pius XII for her service to the church. She was also named an honorary member of the Franciscans and the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. In her 1948 will she bequeathed La Parra ranch headquarters and 10,000 acres of land to the Oblate fathers and 13,000 acres to the Diocese of Corpus Christi. The rest of her vast estate was divided among relatives and ranch kin.

In 1948, Mrs. East met Christopher Gregory, a Trappist monk who had taken the name Brother Leo. Two years earlier, Brother Leo had been released from his vow of silence and assigned to raise funds for new Trappist monasteries. He was on a fund-raising trip through South Texas when he met Sarita East, and over the next few years he became her advisor and traveling companion. In the 1950s, Mrs. East allowed oil and gas exploration on her ranch which, up to that time, had largely been an untapped resource. During that time she gave money to the Trappist monks and visited monasteries throughout the world. In 1959, with other family members and Brother Leo, she went on a South American tour, one of several trips she made, and donated $300,000 to build a mission in Chile. That same year Brother Leo introduced her to J. Peter Grace, Chairman of the Board of W. R. Grace and Company, in New York. The three began the work of forming a charitable Foundation. On January 21, 1960, they established The John G. and Marie Stella Kenedy Memorial Foundation, with Sarita Kenedy East as sole member. Mrs. East also wrote another will leaving the bulk of her estate to the Foundation. Over the next few months she wrote a series of codicils to her will that increasingly gave more control of the Foundation to Brother Leo and Grace. Just before her death she named Brother Leo sole member of the Foundation. Sarita Kenedy East died of cancer on February 11, 1961, in New York City and was buried at La Parra Ranch.

Within months after her death a group of South Texans, including Elena Suess Kenedy, members of the Turcotte family, and the Diocese of Corpus Christi, filed a lawsuit disputing Brother Leo's control of the Foundation, charging that Leo and Grace exerted undue influence over Mrs. East while she was disoriented by medication. Other relatives also contested her 1960 will and wished to reinstate her 1948 will dividing the estate among various beneficiaries. Over the course of the battle more than 200 people claimed to be legitimate heirs. In 1964, a settlement regarding the Foundation resulted in the splitting of assets. Grace and the New York group relinquished control of the Foundation over Brother Leo's objections. The bulk of the funds, approximately $100 million, went to the control of the South Texans, but Grace received oil royalties (not to exceed $14.4 million) from the estate and established a smaller Foundation in New York, the Sarita Kenedy East Foundation, worth approximately $13 million. In 1966 Brother Leo filed an appeal against the decision; after a further series of appeals the Texas Supreme Court ruled against him. In June 1981, the United States Supreme Court refused to hear his appeal, thereby affirming the rights of the Texas relatives to retain control of the Foundation. Through a series of court battles over the years the 1960 will was upheld over the 1948 will, and the assets of the Foundation and most of the Kenedy estate remained intact. As Mrs. East wished, the ranch headquarters went to the Oblate fathers. The estate, which had been held in escrow by the Alice National Bank, was finally turned over to the Foundation in 1982. In 1984, basically the first year that the Foundation officially operated, it had $100 million in assets and was the largest charitable Foundation in South Texas. It was stipulated that at least 10 percent of the income go to the Corpus Christi Diocese, with a total of 90 percent of funds going for religious activities and the other 10 percent going to secular agencies.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Corpus Christi Caller-Times, August 26-29, September 23-27, December 16-19, 1984. Stephan G. Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth, If You Love Me You Will Do My Will (New York: Norton, 1990). Vertical Files, Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin.




 


.....About the same time, Mifflin Kenedy and Richard King arrived in South Texas with a small fleet of ships. Theymade a great deal of money ferrying passengers and running guns up and down theRio Grande and to ports around the Gulf of Mexico. When the Civil War broke out, theytransported cotton and other commodities out of northern Mexico for the Confederacy. After the war,however, Kenedy and King decided to get out of the shipping business and intothe grand-scale acquisition of old Spanish land grants.

 

Kenedy bought upapproximately one million acres along the Gulf coast between Brownsville and Corpus Christi, while King acquired close to threemillion acres of interior tracts. Between the two of them, they ownedmost of Wild Horse Desert. Mifflin himself was a Quaker, and heremained so all his life. He married, however, a devout Catholic widow,Petra Vela de Vidal -- affectionately called “Petrita” -- from the Mexican sideof the river. She had a son and four daughters by her first marriage. Mifflin and Petrita had six children of their own, four of whom predeceasedtheir parents.

 

The two who survived them were John Gregory, Sr. and SaraJosephine. John Gregory, Sr. married Marie Stella Turcotte from Louisiana. They had two children: John Gregory,Jr. and Sarita (“Little Sara”), named after her aunt. In the 1880’s Mifflin chose the highestsand dune in the vicinity of Baffin Bay (approximately half way betweenBrownsville and Corpus Christi) to serve as the site of his ranchheadquarters.

 

Actually, the elevation is only 38 feet above sealevel. Yet, it is the highest point for miles in any direction – a veryimportant asset during hurricane season. The first house built on thesite was a relatively modest wooden structure shaped like a riverboat. The ranch operation grew by leaps and bounds, eventually employing some 200cowboys plus their families. The sand dune and surrounding area wascalled “La Parra.”



Posted by Tessie.


........

댓글을 달아 주세요

......

.....